Monument to G Clarke
Large free standing monument to George Clarke; 1736; marble, black ‘marble’; 15th c Chapel, All Souls College, Oxford
This vast free standing monument required extensive treatment with the focus on removal of heavy surface soiling. Several dry and wet conservation cleaning techniques were used to remove the dirt from the surface including the use of a laser system. Some structural treatment was also required to stabilise damaged stone areas. After the completion of cleaning, the dark colour of the black ‘marble’ areas was re-instated and engraved lettering was in-painted in black. A layer of protective wax coating was also applied to the surface of the monument.
All Souls College, Oxford